- clearly communicate to you how we manage personal information;
- enhance the transparency of BWIB operations;
- give you a better and more complete understanding of the sort of personal information that we hold, and the way we manage that information;
This policy may be amended from time-to-time. The most current version of this policy will be posted on our website, with the date of update shown.
- The kind of Personal Information we Collect and Hold About You
We collect and hold information about you that is reasonably needed for our operations and activities and as is required by law. Our association functions and activities include:
- updating and maintaining your membership records
- publishing your business details in our various communiqués, publications and materials in order to promote your business across the BWIB subscriber network and more broadly
- providing you with important information about BWIB, its services and matters affecting your membership
- providing you with promotional material as part of your membership (and on occasion providing that information to third parties in order to distribute those materials to you).
- conducting research to identify the ongoing needs of our members
- providing details of businesses to members and the public through website, social media and other forums
- all activities associated with the administration of the above activities.
Generally, we collect the following personal information about you:
(a) Competition entrants:-
- your name
- your contact details including residential/business address, telephone number and email address
(b) Subscribers and members:-
- your name
- your contact details including residential/business address, telephone number and email address
- financial information such as bank account and credit card details for subscription or membership
- for businesses, ABN and other details.
(d) Other information:-
We may combine your contact details above with other information about you, for example:
- if you enter a promotion or competition, visit us at an event or enquire about BWIB, we may collect your contact details so that we can follow up on your enquiry or interest by sending you marketing material, invitations, specials and promotions or request collect specific information relevant to a particular promotion which is optional for you to provide;
- we collect details related to your BWIB transactions, ABN details, payment details and other details;
- if your business or employer supplies us with products or services, we collect information about your trading with us (for example the services or products you buy or sell or the services you provide), your trading history and account history;
- if you request information from us (for example about a service or event) or register a complaint, we collect information about your request or complaint.
We record this information (personal information) in our database whilst we deal with you. We will remove this information from our database when we have no further need to keep a record of it, except if we are required to keep it by law.
- Easy Opt Out and Marketing
We may use your personal information, including your contact details, to provide you with information about events and services, including those of other members and third parties, which we consider may be of interest to you. We may provide your details to other organisations for specific marketing purposes. You may opt out at any time if you no longer wish to receive event and marketing information. In order to do so, you will need to request that we no longer send marketing materials to you, or disclose your information to other organisations for marketing purposes. You can make this request simply by unsubscribing to emails circulated to you or by contacting BWIB directly advising that you no longer wish to receive direct marketing communications.
- Access to your Personal Information
You may request access to the personal information that we hold about you by contacting BWIB directly. BWIB will deal with your request for such access within a reasonable time after the request is made. If access is refused, BWIB will set out the reasons for the refusal under the relevant provisions of the Privacy Act and the mechanism to complain about the refusal. Where the Act provides, reasonable charges in relation to a request may be made for giving access to the personal information.
- How we Collect Information About You
We collect personal information directly from you. We may record your contact details when you call us, when you fill out an application form, when you complete a competition entry, when you participate in a transaction, when you provide your contact details via web, mobile or email or when you ask us for information or request something from us. Sometimes we collect personal information about you from another person or business, or from a publicly available source. For example:
- a member or subscriber may give us your details in relation to a product or service;
- if you enter/attend a networking event, promotion or competition, we may collect your details directly from you or obtain your name and contact details as promoter of the event;
- our service providers may provide us with your personal information from public information available on websites, social media sites, mobile, and other technology based sources;
We use lawful and fair means to collect your information. We will collect personal information about you from another person or from a publicly available source only if it is unreasonable or impracticable to collect it directly from you, and we will take reasonable steps to inform you that we have collected your personal information. Those reasonable steps may include informing you through this statement. If we receive personal information about you that we have not requested, and if we determine that we could not have lawfully collected that information under privacy law if we had requested it, we will destroy or de-identify the information, if it is lawful and reasonable to do so.
- Do you Have to Provide BWIB your Personal Information?
You have the option of not identifying yourself, or of using a pseudonym when dealing with us. If you choose to deal with us anonymously or using a pseudonym, we can give you general information about our events and services, and you may be able to participate in those, however there are some things we cannot do, for example, if you do not give us your personal information, we cannot:
- give you information about transactions you may have made for BWIB membership or events, the status of your membership;
- deal with a complaint you may have;
- provide you with certain information or details for subscribers and members to you at an address;
- give you admittance to our networking events;
- give you entry into our promotions or competitions;
- provide information to you where it is impracticable to deal with an individual who has not identified themself or has used a pseudonym.
- What is the Purpose of Collecting Personal Information About You
We collect and record personal information about you so that we can carry out our functions and activities described above. The primary purposes for which we collect your personal information include so that we can:
- provide our services to you, our franchisees, our advertisers and suppliers;
- administer our dealings with you, to provide you with information and to respond to any requests that you may have (for example, so that we can manage your account, or recommend or introduce you to other advertisers, suppliers or associates);
- function as a business, for example, we may collect your personal information for research, marketing or so that we can offer new services, events and provide you with marketing and networking/sales opportunities;
- record your dealings with us and facilitate financial transactions where applicable.
We also collect your personal information for certain secondary purposes that are related to those outlined above. Secondary purposes may include so that we can run our business efficiently, for example, our advisors can provide us with customer research, or so that we can use technology to automate our processes and systems and to understand how our association is performing, to allow us to operate efficiently and to lower costs by outsourcing services (such as collecting or paying money).
- service providers, including management, repairers, contractors, IT, security, legal, accounting, research, credit, credit reporting bodies, marketing, insurers, financial institutions and others;
- our sponsors;
- government, regulatory and law enforcement authorities, where we are required to or permitted to by law;
- to prevent or investigate any fraud or crime (or a suspected fraud or crime).
Accuracy and Correction
We take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose (where relevant), is accurate, up-to-date and complete. Where we believe that the personal information we hold is inaccurate, out-of-date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, we will take reasonable steps to correct that information.
You may request that we correct your personal information that we hold by contacting BWIB on the contact details provided below. BWIB will take reasonable steps to correct the information to ensure that it is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading within a reasonable time. If we do not agree with the corrections you have requested, we are not obliged to alter you personal information accordingly. However, where we refuse to correct any personal information as requested by you, a written notice which sets out the reasons for our refusal will be provided.
We make reasonable efforts to ensure that the most up-to-date security measures are used on our website and emails and that at our physical locations for the protection of your personal information. We hold your personal information in electronic files, and take reasonable steps to ensure that any personal information kept in our files is protected from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. This means that, in respect of electronic files, we (or our service providers) maintain secure electronic network systems. When we receive emails, we will retain the content of the email and our response to you where we consider it necessary to do so. Your email address will only be used or disclosed for the purpose for which is was provided. It will not be added to any mailing lists or used for any other purpose without your consent. However, we cannot guarantee that any information transmitted via the internet by us, or yourself, is entirely secure.
Use of websites and social medial sites is at your own risk. When we no longer require your personal information (including when we are no longer required by law to keep records relating to you), we ensure that it is destroyed or de-identified.
- Your Disclosures on the BWIB Community Facebook Page, Blogs And Other Social Media:
You should be aware that personally identifiable information which you voluntarily include and transmit online on the Service or in a publicly accessible blog, chat room, social media platform or otherwise online, or that you share in an open forum such as an in-person panel or survey, may be viewed and used by others without any restrictions. We are unable to control such uses of your personally identifiable information, and by using the Service or any other online services you assume the risk that the personally identifiable information provided by you may be viewed and used by third parties for any number of purposes.
- Who to Contact